Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Frustrations of Failure why you shouldn't give up


In education, failure is a nasty word. Like he who should not be named. 


Since the start of schools in history (I know, that's a long way back), we have had a system of passing and failing. This system of benchmarks has indicated to the teachers, students, and parents, what a certain individual has learned or has not learned. How that individual has done throughout a certain amount of time in school. 

We are moving towards a new era in accountability, nearly 30 years after the publication of "A Nation at Risk." Not only are our students beholden to this grading system, but our teachers, and likewise administrators, are behold to it as well. The new system for them is basically a wolf in sheep's  clothing - its a system of pass or fail to render it down to its lowest denominator. 


Teachers are graded via observations and test scores to render to reflect a passing or failing score on a body of work over a certain amount of time. 


Students are graded via test scores and performance based assessments to reflect a passing or failing score on a body of work over a certain amount of time. 


Its the basic foundation of our grading system that hasn't changed in nearly, well, forever. 


Until now. 



I want to take back the word FAILURE. 


All too often, I hear in hallways or publications or broadcast memos that Failure is not an option. That we need to be keeping up with schools from around the globe. That we need to enhance math and science. We need STEM. No, we need STEAM. No, we need STEAM plus reading, plus this.....


You get my point. 


But no one is really talking about failing at its root. Everyone talks about how to prevent students from failing or to bump those who are on the cusp from failing to passing to improve an overall body of work over a certain period of time.


But no one is talking about failing in its most true sense. At it's heart. 




I'm gonna say it... loud and clear.


Ready...



Are you sure?








IT'S OKAY TO FAIL. 



Wow. Now admit that to yourself and say it aloud. Feel better? Good. Now read this quote.







I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
Michael Jordan 


If His Highness of Hangtime believed that, why can't we? Failing is okay. Its not trying again that I can't stand. We lump these two words together and demonize those students and teachers who do fail. It's okay to fail - show me the first person to never make a mistake and I will show you the biggest liar on the planet. 


Everyone fails. It's how we respond that counts the most. I'm not advocating mass failure, don't get me wrong. What I am saying is that let's reclaim failing. 


If a student fails, lets not make them feel like its just about the number or bottom line (or the Gentlemen's "D" - and I know we all know what that is). It's about the student. 




To Fail = First Attempt In Learning 


Stop preventing kids from failing - help prevent them from giving up. 

How can we help you learn? Forget the grade. 
How can I help you figure this out? Forget the number.
How can I help you succeed? Forget the statistics.
How can I help you get back up? Forget the negativity. 

How can I help you fail so that you learn from your mistakes? #letsfail






No comments: