Monday, February 13, 2012

Mini Art School #3 - Cover Redesign



If there is one thing I have gotten out of the whole art school program, is that it is when you understand good design, it becomes easy to replicate. 


Having to redesign a book cover just based on a title almost begs someone to make a joke about judging a book by its cover... but I digress. "Flirting with the Bully"will be a best seller because it is geared toward the tween generation. The neon hearts on the borders focus the attention towards the middle of the picture. Though I don't love how things are centered, I think it works because I only have two or three items to look at. 


A person looking at this for the first time will first look at the "eyes" of the bully. I think my choice of pictures and how the go together make this book a serious read, in a rebellious teenage sense. 

2 comments:

Elena Constantinou said...

I really like your choice of using a black & white face for the bully. I think the contrast between the darkness and the bright colors are symbolic of the title- darkness for the bully, bright for flirting. This cover would be appealing to tweens without a doubt. What program did you use to make it?

Jim said...

Hey Tim,

I have to agree with Elena, that the high contrast of the black and white face draws your eye immediately to the center of the cover. I can also see how the cover could appeal to the tween market. It has the feel of many of the covers that you see in that section of books today. I, too, was curious what you used to create this. Did you make the heart border or was that something you found? Your design is interesting because it forces me to wonder whether the person in the image is good or bad and the reason I wonder is because of the light-hearted (no pun intended) border in its rainbow colors.