Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Mini Art School #2 - Compositions

I am not an artist. I don't pretend to be. I believe my best artistic work came in the fifth grade when my best friend and I came up with some comic strip. We would fill the strip with different superheroes, which were based off of fruit. Appleman, Orangeman, Mr. Pencil and Banana Boy. That was the highlight until I tried this exercise from Design Basics Index in which I needed to design and create compositions for the corporate world. 



I do not have a "Vector" program like they wanted us to use in the book so I used pencil and paper to do my sketches and final drafts. The corporation I went with was in the medical field. From these basic, early, and rather contrite sketches, I drew up about twenty or so designs for the medical field. Because the next major holiday is valentines day, I choose to do something with the heart, though I didn't at first. I skipped around, randomly drawing, using shapes and contours until I found some designs that worked for me. The heart and the medical cross kept popping up into my head. So, out of all of those, I choose three to refine.








These were the hardest ones for me. I went back and retraced to make sure that I put emphasis on certain items. 
1. The first example is of a heart and the cross behind it - which means that they (the hospital, doctors, or whoever I am pitching this to) will always be there. I also put inside the heart the EKG monitor and it is spiking at the last moment, signifying that this place is where you want to go if your heart stops. 

2. The second design is of a broken heart. It is torn down the middle and a band aid is over top of it. The use of the bandage signifies that they will be there to heal broken hearts. Out of all of the designs, this was the weakest one. Are they supposed to fix unhealthy hearts or hearts that are broken from love? The design had some flaws.

3. Finally, my coup de grat. It was a shattered heart and standing behind it was the cross, yet again. The cross is bringing the pieces back together, mending and repairing. I loved this design. I would put vibrant colors into this one next time if I could. That is the only thing it is lacking. Color would make these pop. 


1 comment:

Erica Holan Lucci said...

Hi Tim,
Thanks for taking the time to customize the assignment (due to your not having the "Vector" program). I appreciate the effort you put into creating this/these post/s!
I remember from your posts in past weeks that you are not an artist, and I appreciate your critiques of your own designs. I also appreciate your sentiment about 5th grade sketches...haha, *sigh* those were the days!
I agree with you that color may have helped these images a bit more... Something about your design screams "rocker" to me -- did anything rock-n-roll resonate with you while you were creating these? Is it just me? I can definitely see where you were going in terms of the heart and cross design; this was a solid thought process in terms of pitching to the medical community. For some reason, however, I keep thinking of band logos when I see these sketches, particularly the final one.
Thanks again for taking the time to explain your thought process as you were designing.
Great effort!
Erica