Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A New Way Home

As human beings, we become accustomed to routines and daily doings. Whether it is from what we eat in the morning to how we meet and greet people; routines are important. When things in our lives change, it has a ripple effect and often times those ripples effect how we do things. Having a routine keeps is moving, alive, and active.



Just recently, I started a new job at Princeton Public Schools as Supervisor of Social Studies and Global Education. It has been an amazing two weeks so far. I have had the chance to meet so many enthusiastic and phenomenal educators and see the great work they are doing for the students who are in their classes and attend their schools. I have also had the chance to visit with my staff here in my home base and get to know them a little bit more as well (over pizza, which, in my estimation, is the best way to get to know someone).




While the job, the people, and the interactions have all been more than I could have hoped for, one thing has changed, my routines. Changing a routine isn't inherently a bad or good thing. It is just something that needs to happen. Changing a routine isn't like changing the channel. It takes time to ease into a new one and find out which one works for you.

My most pressing routine I need to change is how I get to work and what I listen to. Now this might not seem like a great deal but my car ride is my place to think about my daily events, what I need to do, and how I need to get them done. Usually, I have had time to listen to a podcast or two (Check out the BAM Radio Network for some great ones on Education: #edtechchat for one is a homerun). Now, my time is a bit different so I need to switch up what I listen to and how I get to and from work. Finding a new way home from work has been a great adventure.

Another one? What buildings I go to and how I will manage my day. Being new to the job and district gives me an opportunity to try new things out, like the Bullet Journal (Thanks, +Daniel Scibienski for this one). It is an analog way of keeping track of notes, events, and ideas. With this fresh start, it gives me some time to try new things out, including new note taking.

To check it out for yourself - http://bulletjournal.com/







My ride home is my own little Adventure Time. 

So - moral of the story? Don't be afraid to switch it up, not matter how big or small you believe the change is. Even if what you try out doesn't work, give yourself an excuse to try something new. Routines are great but so is change. Don't get stuck in a rut. 

No comments: