Monday, November 24, 2014

For when you miss out

This weekend, #EdCampNJ went down in North Brunswick, NJ.

 If you don't know what an EdCamp is about, check out this fantastic review by +Jeffrey Bradbury on http://www.edcampnj.org/what-is-edcamp/


I went last year and it was such a great event. So much so, that it changed my perspective on learning, leading, and teaching. The people that I met there, some from the Social Media edu-space, became good friends and people who continually shape my existence!

So, when they announced the registration for  the 2014 version of EdCampNJ, I jumped at the chance to sign up. I was excited, especially since I had just changed just districts and jobs. There were so many questions I wanted to ask and a few sessions ideas I had kicking around in my head. If you think I am feigning my excitement, do yourself a favor and ask anyone of the over 400 educators who went this year how valuable that day was. The conversations alone (along with, "gasp" free swag and pizza) make this day one of the best of the year. 

Picture of last year with some of the great Edu-Peeps in attendance. 


Work up early on Saturday, got my coffee game going and then, I hear the dreaded cough from mountain tops. My kids, specifically the little one, has a HUGE cold. Goops, gabs, mucus, and snoogies all ruining up and down his little face (yes, those are medical terms). My life shifted to dad mode while trying to make the little guy feel better but when the SECOND kid also work up with those medical anomalies, I knew it was a sign. 

My hopes of going to the unconfernce were dashed. 

I knew it was going to be a great day but I needed to stay with the family. Thankfully, ever so thankfully, these types of events just don't happen in person. They also happen over the internet via Twitter, Google Drive, and Hangouts. 

I was able to watch along as the fellas from #satchat brought up great guest after guest during their show. I was able to follow the hashtag and see what people were talking about in the sessions and I was able to actually see the session materials thanks to Google Drive!

It stinks when you have to miss out on something, especially something you know will benefit you, your staff, and your school district in general. 

It stinks that you can't be a part of something greater than yourself BUT.. and there is always a but, the event is great because of the people who attend and their willingness to share of themselves. 

So even though I couldn't make it:

THANK YOU #edcampNJ organizers for all your hard work.

THANK YOU educators, teachers, administrators, and tech gurus who gave of their time and ideas. 

THANK YOU #NJED and NJ for being the BEST place to work in. YOU ALL ROCK. 


No comments: