Monday, February 13, 2012

Mini Art School #3 - Cropping


Cropping photos can be a cathartic activity. Often times, the picture that you have originally is not the best it could possible be. As we have read about, cropping allows the user to pick out and focus on other parts of the photo. They crop out things that are unnecessary to the main point of the picture and make it more visually pleasing. 

For my first photo, I choose a shot of the Mexican beach front. With these crops, I was just trying out the different edits that were available. I don't often crop photos. I tried to figure out which crop made the photo look better than the original. Were the pictures telling a better story? I love either the sun or the fade in crop. The sun reminds me of what is was like to be on the beach - with the ocean in the background, I couldn't think of a better picture.


My second picture was an action shot of my dob, Bailey. We were at a baseball game and she was singing along to the National Anthem. I wanted to focus the attention on her barking along with the song so I choose crops that were action oriented. The cutout crop of diagonal spokes speaks volume and I love how her mouth is the focus of the picture.


Finally, I choose a picture that most Americans have seen before, the Lincoln Memorial. I took this picture last year on my class trip with the 8th grade. I choose some border crops that helped to emphasize how important this monument was. While the black border was great, I decided to crop the photo down to focus on Lincoln and his quote. I found that this really put the emphasis on who he was and his overall importance. 


No comments: